Saturday, November 05, 2005

In the Beginning...

Here beginneth something new: a blog where I hope to share my thoughts on literary and other matters, named in honor of my dear friend Bonnie DeBold, a fellow Bunburyist from college days.

What is a Bunburyist? It's a term invented by Oscar Wilde in The Importance of Being Earnest, in which Algernon Moncrieff has created "an invaluable permanent invalid called Bunbury" to extricate himself from boring societal obligations so he can do what he pleases. The minute Algernon's bombastic Aunt Augusta tries to commandeer him for a dinner party, poof! Bunbury has a relapse. Enchanted by Wilde's premise, I've featured a sleuthing Bunbury who is not all that he seems in two mystery short stories ("A Roman of No Importance," "Lady Windermere's Flan"), and it struck me that "The Bunburyist" was a good title for a blog, as we all may not be what we seem.

No comments: